“To provide quality community service through the teamwork of dedicated people.”
Wapakoneta Fire-EMS (originally known as the Deluge Fire Company and for many years after, known as the Wapakoneta Fire Department) began formally in 1865 when Council issued bonds to purchase a Fire engine, hose, carriage and a building to house this equipment. Prior to that, “hooks and ladders” were provided for the city as early as 1856. In 1876 the City began hiring individuals to serve as engineer and “night watch”. The currently used building was built in 1885 and is believed to be one of the oldest active fire stations in Ohio.
Wapakoneta Fire-EMS is a single station operation with 24-hour staffing. We currently have 16 career firefighter/EMTs and 1 part paid auxiliary firefighter / EMT. Our career staffing structure consists of a Chief, 3 shift Captains and 10 firefighters divided among 3 shifts all of which hold Level-2 firefighter certifications and EMT certifications from EMT-Basic to EMT-Paramedic. Our Engine’s consists of 2 – engines, 1 – 100ft. Aerial platform, 1 – Rescue/Engine, 3 – ALS Ambulances, 2 – support vehicles and a water rescue trailer. We also maintain our 1943 Seagrave pumper as a “parade vehicle”. This unit was purchased during World War II with special permission from the U.S. War Dept.
In addition to firefighting and EMS services, Wapakoneta Fire-EMS provides fire prevention and education, confined space rescue, water and ice rescue, rope rescue, vehicle extrication and other emergency services as needed. Along with the area within the City of Wapakoneta, fire and EMS protection services are provided to 16 square miles of Duchoquet Township.
The staff at Wapakoneta Fire-EMS is proud of its tradition and heritage of service to the community.